MAKE READING FUN!
10 Ways to Make Reading Fun for Your Children
1. Read aloud together. Bring stories to life by using gestures and different voices for characters.
2. Create a comfortable reading spot that your children help arrange and decorate.
3. Make reading time special. Turn off the TV and limit other distractions.
4. Provide reading related surprises. Let your children stay up a little late to finish a chapter or a book, or turn out the lights and let your children read with flashlights.
5. Give books as gifts. Choose ones that you think your children will enjoy.
6. Start a home library. Devote all or part of a bookshelf as a place where your children can keep books.
7. Share some laughs. Take turns reading to each other from a joke book or a humorous story.
8. Encourage everyone to read while waiting for appointments, riding in the car, or any other “down” times.
9. If your children are interested in learning to do something new, have them find out more by reading about it.
10.Share your excitement about books and reading. Talk about things you’ve read and why you enjoyed them.
REMEMBER: POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT HELPS. PRAISE YOUR CHILDREN FOR EVERY READING ACHIEVEMENT!
Ideas taken from Positive Promotions.