10 WAYS TO MAKE FAMILY LEARNING FUN!
1. Make an audio tape of your child narrating a book while other family members read the parts of the characters in it. Listen to the audio book on road trips.
2. Document your family’s history by having your child interview family members. Work together to compile stories gathered.
3. Challenge your child to read as many books as possible in a month. Play along and read as much as you can, too!
4. Record important events in a family diary. Have family members alternate writing entries, and encourage your child to write concisely.
5. Have your child help plan a family vacation by making a list of supplies needed for the trip. Then he or she can read off the items and check to see if everything is packed.
6. Find a book that appeals to you and your child. Alternate reading aloud. Pause every few pages and take turns predicting what will happen next.
7. Bring along a journal on an outing to a local park. Take turns drawing or writing down characteristics of plants and animals. Then research what you found together. Make your own nature book!
8. Reinforce math concepts by having your child help prepare recipes. Use small measuring cups so he or she has to add ingredients to get the needed amount, such as four ¼ cups of flour to make 1 cup.
9. Go shopping together and have your child write down the price for two products you choose. Then add up the cost.
10. For a younger child, help practice the ABCs by having him or her find items in the house that start with different letters of the alphabet.
REMEMBER: MAKING EDUCATION A FAMILY AFFAIR WILL STRENGTHEN FAMILY BONDS AND IMPROVE YOUR CHILD’S CHANCES FOR ACADEMIC SUCCESS.
Ideas taken from Positive Promotions